Week 16: Creating My Strategy

Preferred Platforms
So far I enjoy Instagram the most. I like that it is very visual and simple to use. I also like that it connects to Facebook, allowing me to create one post for two platforms. I also believe Instagram may be the best platform for my food business . As the old saying goes "people eat with their eyes". I also have had the most followers on Instagram (even though I have very few posts). More importantly, these followers have been in my target market or people I want to partner with. One example is a small grocery store chain in Knoxville started following me. This was really cool to me because as I have mentioned I am moving to Knoxville and I have a packaged product I hope to eventually place in the grocery stores after I do some market testing at the local Farmer's Market.

The second platform I enjoy, much to my surprise, is Twitter. I had never used Twitter before this class. Again, I appreciate the simplicity and how intuitive it's use is. I like that the # of characters is limited as I personally have little tolerance for writing and reading (more of a math/mechanical person. Twitter seems to be a very effective way of getting information to it's intended audience and I absolutely intend to explore it much further.

The Plan
First of all I need to create good quality content. At the moment the business is packed and stored until I complete my move. However, this class has brought back some excitement and motivation for getting things up and running, when I can of course. I am more enthused now about taking more pictures of the process and product and designing content. I do believe social media can be a very effective marketing and branding tool. I also think it provides the unique opportunity to connect with customers and potential customers in a way that traditional marketing does not. I intend to use it as a means of receiving lots of feedback. For example, this could help me determine what flavors people like most, and perhaps what flavor combos I should try next.

After I have a few weeks (at minimum) of content developed I'd like to keep a simple calendar of when I post and when I create more content. I know I need to sort out timing, as I still feel pretty clueless as to how often and at what times. I will continue to study competitors in depth and pay attention to any correlation between engagement and posting times. Some of how often I post is limited to my time as well and I need to be realistic about this. I think it is important to be consistent. As of now, I am the only person running/working my company. Hopefully one day that will change.

At this point I will be creating all the content and managing all the social media posts. Eventually I hope to hire out for these tasks. However, I am glad I am familiar enough to manage it on a small scale until that time. And even if I am not the one managing it I feel it is very good to be knowledgeable  and relevant in all aspects of the business.

Specific Content
I have quite a bit of initial content I need to create. First I need to sit down and write out my company story. I feel it is a good way and directly conveys what problem it solves for the customers. I think it also has the potential to create an emotional connection. I will of course edit it to be as concise as possible while still keeping the essence and important aspects. Next, I have some ideas of the character I'd like the company to have and I need to work on some graphics and short phrases to reflect this.  Then, utilizing paid stock images or a photographing I'd like to create some fun but simple graphics for each flavor. Such as buffalo sauce being poured on a beautiful bit of cauliflower. I also need to take photos of (or hire a food photographer) the final product (the freeze dried seasoned fruit/veggie.) After I get these project complete I will feel much more confident in creating posts, finishing my website and so on.

Following those task I would like to create content where their is more interaction with my product. An example would a photo of someone snacking on Moody Bits on an airplane, or a trail in the mountains. I'd also like to capture customer's descriptions of the product and incorporate that into some of the content I create. I find my product can be hard for me to describe sometimes. If I can get other's opinion, particularly those that really like the product, I think this will help.  Perhaps I do not have to create all the content. Maybe I can  hold a hashtag and/or contest for best outdoor photo with the snack, or something along those lines. Again, social media allows those interactions which I am looking forward to.


Post Comments
I posted a reply comment to the blogs of Taylor Bantle, Alexa Floren and Vicky Mowery.

Comments

Popular Posts